If you’ve ever worn braces then chances are you are quite familiar with using a retainer. Retainers are said to be an orthodontic appliance for young people that help to perfect the teeth after removing the braces. The common purpose of using a retainer is it helps the teeth stay intact in the new position after shifting orthodontics or other dental works. The appliance is usually worn for closing the gap in between the teeth or shifting only one tooth. They also help in correcting jaw problems like temporomandibular disorder or TMD.
If your dentist asks you to wear a retainer, then it is important to follow their instructions carefully. Your retainer iscustomised to fit perfectly in your mouth and the dentist will tell you when and how long you need to wear it. Check out some ways how you can protect and care for the retainers so that they may shine for several years.
- It is a good idea to clean acrylic retainer at least once in a week. You need to soak it in distilled water by using baking soda or one or two drops of castile soap.
- Rinse your retainersas many times as you can during the day with warm water to fight against the bacteria.
- Baking soda is a natural cleanser that increases pH balance of your mouth. Try to mix equal parts of baking soda and water till a paste is made. Use your toothbrush to scrub the retainer gently with the paste.
- Rinse the aligner properly with warm water after removing it.
- Put one drop of dish soap on soft bristle toothbrush and rub to work into lather. Do not use toothpaste as it will scratch the material over time.
- Clean the aligner from inside and outside gently by usinga toothbrush so that it reaches all the crevices.
- Rinse aligner thoroughly with warm water before re-inserting. Avoid placing it in boiling water asextreme heat mightdeform it.
- You should keep the retainer in case when you aren’t using it.
- Do not clean it by using abrasive cleansers.
- It is advised to keep your retainers away from pets.
- Store the retainer in a safe place at the time of eating.
- Avoid storing it anywhereas it might accidentally fall out when overlooked.
You can visit Wimpole Dental when looking for cosmetic dentistry treatment in London. This way, you can solve your oral problems and maintain better health.